Monday, February 25, 2008

34. The Skirt

Okay, is it just me, or is that wedding countdown starting to freak you out too? As long as the number was over 20 days, I was fine. But 11 days!?!?! I may have to take it off my blog... ;)

I spent the weekend working on the skirt. First, I completed the skirt lining - including french seams and a narrow machine hem (as taught by Susan Khalje in her online class at patternreview.com on "Top 10 Couture Techniques".)

Then I moved on to the silk. I serged all the edges to prevent fraying and started by hand-stitching the folds into the skirt front. Then I put the darts in the back pieces and sewed the side seams. Of course, there is a big gap on one side for the godet...

The fabric needs pressing, but the silk satin is never going to be perfectly smooth - that's just not in its nature... In any event, here are a couple of shots:

First, a view of the whole skirt from the front:

Second, a closer-up shot of the folds:



It truly looks gorgeous! That silk is incredible - it is unbelievably soft and yet it has a weight about it that makes it look and feel very royal. :)


2 comments:

Emily said...

Wow! It's really beginning to come together!!! I can't wait to see the rest. :)

Vicki said...

You are getting there! The folds look great.